Wednesday 4 June 2014

More Gluten-Free Hits & Misses


Hello GF peeps, and Happy Wednesday!  Time for another addition of Gluten-Free Hits & Misses, as we continue to try new things every day on our gluten-free journey.  So off we go......




Compliments Gluten-Free Brown Rice Pasta - an absolute HIT!  We have tried other brown rice pastas and found them to be OK, but all had that tell-tale "gritty" texture which I personally do not care for.  I want my GF pasta to taste like traditional pasta.  And this one does!  The best part - you can get it at the grocery store (Sobeys) instead of a speciality store and it's very affordable at $2.49. I will definitely be buying this on a regular basis.



Annie's Gluten-Free Rice Pasta & Cheddar - this is basically the gluten-free version of Kraft Dinner (or Kraft Mac & Cheese for my friends south of the border) and it is pretty darn good!  A definite HIT  for taste and texture with both myself and my son.  The MISS factor is the price - $3.99 for a box of mac & cheese! Yikes! I bought a different brand to try this week that was more than a dollar less so we will see how that turns out and I'll keep you posted. 



Bob's Red Mill Wheat Free Muesli - Hmmmmm, the jury is still out on this one.  And an important NOTE: wheat free does not necessarily mean gluten-free so if you are Celiac then you need to read the labels carefully.  Which I'm sure you know, but just want to make sure. :)  The package suggests this be soaked in milk, fruit juice, or plain yogurt for 5-10 minutes before eating.  We tried the milk version and found it not to our liking, mostly because it didn't soften up very well.  The hubby tried it with vanilla yogurt this morning and said it was great!  The rest of us will have to give that a try.  So, for now I will give it a HIT/MISS and see what we think of the yogurt version.

My kitchen and pantry are slowly but surely filling up with gluten-free products we are enjoying.  It is a slow (and sometimes frustrating) process, but we are determined to get there and make this work for my son.  The difference in his health these past 4 weeks has been amazing!

We hope you are enjoying and learning from our journey as we learn from so many of you.

Have a wonderful day!

~ The Lazy Gourmet

No comments:

Post a Comment