Thursday 22 May 2014

Gluten Free - 2 Hits & 2 Misses


 Good morning everyone!  And a warm hello to all of our new followers.  Udi's Gluten-Free was kind enough to direct many of you to my blog via their Twitter account and I am very thankful for the kind words and useful advice that has been coming our way.  As many of you know, we are only 2 weeks into this gluten-free journey and it is an adventure filled with trial and error.  So, as we try to figure out what my son likes, and inevitably doesn't like (!!) I thought I'd share some of those Hits & Misses here.


It is a learning process and I hope, as we go along, that I can learn from you, and hopefully you can learn from our experiences as well.  Happy Thursday!


Glutino Gluten Free Cereal Bars - a definite HIT with my son.  We have tried Blueberry an Cherry so far, and he takes one in his lunch almost every day.  They also come in Apple, Strawberry, and Raspberry flavours that we are anxious to try as well.


Nature's Path Envirokids Gorilla Munch Corn Puffs - another definite HIT in our house, thanks to a recommendation from my GF friend Shannon in Waterloo.  I haven't tried them myself, but after "epic fails" with 3 other GF cereals it was a relief to find this one that he loves.  The best part - we call them Gorilla Balls!  TeeHee!  :)



Van's Wholesome Foods - Wheat & Gluten Free Blueberry Waffles - I'm going to call this a HIT/MISS as we are kind of on the fence about these.  The overall thought was "they're not bad, but they're not great."  We will finish the box but I don't think I would buy them again.  They do toast up nice and crisp in about 2 minutes in the toaster, but the texture is just not quite right, if you catch my drift.  The other thing I found a bit odd was that it says they toast better in the oven for a few minutes.  Well, this may be true, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a toaster waffle?!  You know, using the oven and all?!  Weird!



La Tortilla Factory Gluten Free Wraps - an absolute, definite, 100% MISS!!!  The first word that comes to mind is ......Blah!  They are waxy, hard, and utterly tasteless.  Even warming them, as the package suggests, did not make them any better in the taste or texture department.  You know that inaccurate stereotype many people have that GF products are yucky and tasteless?  Yeah, these wraps fit that to a tee!  I hear Udi's makes a GF wrap so we will have to try those instead.  These didn't even rate another try - into the garbage they went.

So, that's another day of our GF experience so far.

BTW, you can follow our journey on Twitter as well @lazygourmetblog.

I wish you all a wonderful day!  Cheers!

~ The Lazy Gourmet

No comments:

Post a Comment